"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

22 June 2007

Cardiff Webcam Geocache


Cardiff Webcam cache

With the 100 cache target approaching, I've been browsing around all the conceivable caches that I could pick up during my daily routine.

Strangely enough, I've been overlooking the nearest cache to my home co-ordinates. This is the Cardiff webcam cache, which is located on top of the Hilton hotel.

Pic 1: Cardiff Hilton, with my GPS in foreground.

The idea is that you get a friend to log on to the Cardiff webcam site, and take a screen grab of you waving at the webcam. But only this morning I realised there is an easy and acceptable "Plan B", namely to take a photo in the general vicinity of the webcam.

I tried linking up with Maalie this morning so he could take a proper screengrab of me at the webcam. Unfortunately, the webcam wasn't running very well on his computer. So, I took the photos whilst ambling into town. By getting this cache, I have added the "Webcam cache" icon to my personal profile of geocaching icons at geocaching.com (already got regular cache, multicache, virtual cache, earthcache, mystery cache and event cache).

Pic. 2: Is this the actual webcam?

Incidentally, these are the first set of photos from my new, all singing, all dancing, Sony Eriksson K800i (3.2 megapixel) camera phone - which now doubles up as my first ever MP3 player (and it also picks up Radio 2 on FM so I'll always remember my TOG roots).

I've downloaded some other of the photos from the new phone, into my earlier posts. See TCA feeding "2nd cousin A", also a panoramic shot of Guildford!