"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

20 June 2007

Map update

This map appears courtesy of Geocache UK, an independent site which tracks geocaching stats for each player in the UK. I don't expect the overall pattern of the map to change much in the near future so now is a good time for a recap.

My most recent geocaching inroads can be seen clearly, with a clutch of finds visible in Berkshire and Surrey. The "virtual cache" in Guildford represents my new eastern record, previously attained (with Maalie) at a cache in Leicester city centre.

The solitary cache up in Cheshire is "Poynton Brook" which I found recently with cousin Jack. This just shades the caches on the Great Orme in north Wales as my most northerly cache find.

My southernmost finds are easy to overlook on this map - a clutch of 3 caches on the Dorset coast (Portland Bill cache being the southern record). Meanwhile, my westerly cache appears to be in the sea. In fact it is the Pilgrim's Retreat cache near St. David's in Pembrokeshire, right on the coastal path.

Three recent caches on the southern boundary of Ceredigion have consolidated that county as a geocaching heartland for me. The reason for this is the volume of reasonably accessable caches placed by family-friendly cachers such as "Twm y Tonnau" and "Red Kite", which I have been able to attain on a "cache and dash" basis by car on my fairly frequent trips to the area.
NB the green represents my cache hides to date, all 3 of them took place in Cardiff.

Future developments? Well, now the 100 landmark is almost complete, I am looking for quality caching rather than quantity of caches. "Quality" includes interesting locations.

Notwithstanding future hols. in Scotland and Ireland, here are my best chances of new locations:

Hopefully a micro cache on Flat Holm Island will be forthcoming soon.

Obviously, it would be nice to do a cache on the Cumbrian coastline with Maalie.

The lack of a cache in Devon or Cornwall needs to be addressed.

I also have eyes for 2 or 3 of the more interesting caches in London. One of these is a Paddington Bear virtual cache (at Paddington Station). I would also like to find one of "Goldpot's" caches in Regents Park. Goldpot, apart from being a geocacher, is a senior groundsman at the park.

A trip to London would also offer the chance of one of the caches on the symbolic Meridian line, and a first cache within the eastern hemisphere.

That's all!