"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

4 September 2008

Maalie Court

"Pier-less Cache"


"Sylphe's Dunnerholme Cache" (My Most Northerly Find!)



Our trip to Maalie Court has already been detailed by our host, Maalie. I would like to thank Maalie for his hospitality, not least his purchase of a Macpac Vamoose carrier for my little one. Other purchases in the quaint town of Grasmere included Grasmere gingerbread. The grave of William Wordsworth was also discovered by K whilst exploring in the graveyyard of St Oswald's Church, while Maalie hid from the rain in the comfort of my car


I have already mentioned that the trip was a success from a geocaching viewpoint. With the little one in tow, caching was not really on the agenda. However, a brief break in the inclement weather coincided with an opportunity for a walk along Askam pier, to the "Pier-less Cache" site. The cache was duly grabbed after some rooting around - my first in Cumbria, and most northerly to date.


Brick on the beach at Askam

Lately, I have been suffering from an inability to settle down to sleep. On this occasion, my sleeplessness turned into a caching opportunity. "Sylphe's Dunnerholme Cache" (placed by Maalie way back in 2003) was the target, situated on Dunnerholme Rock, an uneroded limestone protrusion into the Duddon estuary. I grabbed a torch and sneaked out of the house. The walk to Dunnerholme along the beach was particularly eerie at night. The beach was rather bizarrely littered with bricks and sections of brick wall discarded from the former brickworks. It was like walking along a filmset of a sci-fi movie.