"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

7 September 2007

Tortoiseshell's first geobirthday!


On the "Abercachers" forums my current avatar description is "grounded", as more important stuff has been going on. So, sorry to Lorenzo, Maalie, Raelha and TCA for the lack of tupperware container action of late

I was on vacation recently and so the anniversary of my first geocache without ceremony. However, it is only this weekend that the idea of the blog was concocted in a pub near Derby railway station, and spluttered into life.

As it happens, it appears that the first geo-anniversary coincides with a window of geo-opportunity for a cache or, er, 15. The only clue I'm giving is that the next blog may have some very evocative photos for the other bloggers in my family.

IN OTHER NEWS

The geocoin that I purchased to celebrate 75 geocache finds made it over to Indiana, USA for a geocaching event! It has now done over 4000 miles and has overtaken my "Tortie the Cat" travelbug as my most travelled trackable item.

The person who has since piked up the geocoin is called "Superstutz", who has over 1202 geocaches to his name. However, what is interesting about his profile is that he has a number of very rare icons...

(P.S. I have no intention to find any of these types of cache in the forseeable future...)

"GPS Adventures Exhibit" - from what I can see this is some sort of portable maze that the geocaching people put up in the middle of cities as a promotional item. I don't expect any to turn up in Wales anytime soon.

"Project APE cache" - A set of caches in the USA based on a film promotion. full explanation here.


"NGS benchmark" - Waymarks emanating from the National Geodetic Survey in the USA. Full explanation here.

"Mega event cache". Back in January, I had to explain to my wife that I was going to a meeting of geocachers, an "event cache", in the back of a Cardiff pub. I received some (understandable) torment from TCA about this. However, an "event" cache is as nothing compared to a "mega event cache" - for example, the Midwest geobash in the USA.

Finally, I have incorporated a picture blog about cats into my main blog, now that my new territory has excellent feline-spotting opportunities. I hope Lorenzo and Raelha will especially enjoy the pics! Ciao!