"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

13 September 2007

Settling in!


Masters of Caches 2006 Geocoin Club series geocoin


Cache Hiker Geocoin


"Tortoise" Travelbug


"Pennard Pill" (Multicache)



"Cycle up Tumble down: Pont d' Agen"


"Estuary Defences"


"Rippy's Rhosilli Rest"


"Arthur's Stone"


"Llanrhidian marsh: Llanrhidian"


"Llanrhidian Marsh: Crofty"


"Salthouse Point: Crofty"


"Llanrhidian Marsh: Wern Halog"


"Sirdi's Walk"



Just a quick post to keep in touch with everyone- some nice pics and weblinks to follow on this post when I get time to download and upload.
Yet another momentous week for me personally in RL (Real Life), but that didn't put a stop to the geocaching! With 3 lonely evenings apart from the other Dr Tortoiseshell, what else was I to do? I took the opportunity of getting to know the geocaching terrain on both sides of the Loughor Estuary.

"Pont D'Agen" in Llanelli is part of the "Cycle up Tumble down" series by "The Taffy Apples",
which I would anticipate completing sooner or later. I did this one on a quick cache-and-dash to Tescos, and did "Estuary defences" (on Llanelli beach) on the way back with a car full of shopping.

Pic.1: the imposing silouette of the water tower on Pennard golf course

The serious business started after dropping off the other Dr Tortoiseshell in Swansea. Set off immediately for Pennard, scene of many a happy childhood memories. The "Pennard Pill" multicache was based on clues involving the water tower, the golf course and Pennard Castle - and finally a well-hidden cache in a copse on the way down to the beach.

I went out to Rhosilli as night fell pitch black. The towns of Carmarthen Bay (including Burry Port) lit up like a Christmas tree to the north side. The more distant, milky lights of Devon to the south. In the far distance, the sweep of Lundy lighthouse (and another, possibly Hartland Point?) could be seen. Scrabbled around for "Rippy's Rhosilli Rest" in a gorse bush.


Next day was the turn of north Gower - which I'm not sure Nanny ever counted as "proper" Gower on account of its proximity to the "Welsh" natives of Penclawdd and Dunvant. Anyway, with a splitting headache, I knocked off all 4 caches in the Llanrhidian Marsh series set by "Iain4724". Apart from completing a series for the first time since the Aberystwyth Rainbow Series, I also aquired two nice geocoins, including the coveted "Masters of Caches" geocoin issued by the "Geocoin Club".

Pic. 2: Pennard Castle looms large

After all this excitement, it was back up the hill to Gower "proper" - and a handily placed cache at "Arthur's Stone" on another place of childhood memory, Cefn Bryn - where I picked up Tortoise the Travelbug (no relation to Tortoiseshell).
After my sojurns on the Republic of Gower, The next evening saw me safely back in Wales - a long sojurn through the Pembrey Country Park to "Sirdi's Walk", scene of a memorable fiasco early in my geocaching career. This was a well-camoflauged cache in an eerily quiet part of pine forest. I thought the remote location of the cache suitable for safely dropping off my newly-acquired trackables - and I reluctantly placed the Masters of Cache coin into the cache.