"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

11 April 2007

Quality, not quantity


Whitebear Geocoin

"All About the UK" (Travelbug)


November 2006 Signal the Frog Geocoin


"A Milestone Cache!" (Traditional geocache)


Canada Christmas Micro Geocoin


Historic Tenby (Multicache)



Earlier on this blog, I talked about the prospect of 100 geocache finds. This week, I reached my 75th find, and the coveted "100 finds geo-acheivement geocoin" is clearly going to occur much quicker than anticipated.

The 75th find is probably a good place at which to announce my intention to scale down on geocaching activities.

I think this week's caching is a good example of the type of caching I'll be doing in future. No more hurtling round the country taking in 5, 10 or even 15 caches in one go in order to play the 'numbers game'.

Rather, the aim I think will be to concentrate on 1 or 2 interesting caches at a time. This week, in Pembrokeshire, I could have gone for any number of traditional caches located on the coast path.

Instead, I opted for a single - but more interresting "multicache" which involved collecting a set of easy clues located around the town.

This new "mellow" strategy may also allow focus on unusual caches - "earthcaches" (e.g. at Kimmeridge), "virtual caches" (e.g. Llangefni) etc, rather than a scramble for lots of trad. caches.

Geocoins and bugs may become more of a feature in "semi-retirement". This week I was delighted to see the return of the whitebear coin to Cardiff, which had eluded me last autumn.

Two other interesting coins were also to be found in the area - the wacky Canadian Christmas microcoin and the delightful November 2006 Signal the Frog Coin with its racing car motif.

Roll on the 100 finds geo-acheivement geocoin - and pass me the pipe and slippers!