"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

8 February 2007

BBC Folk Awards

In recent years, I have become fascinated with bluegrass and country music, helped by regular doses of the Nick Barraclough and Bob Harris shows on BBC Radio 2.

However, my interest in southern bluegrass and country has possibly been at the expense of my passion for Folk on 2 which I listened a lot of as a teenager.

In the the last few weeks, I've been listening regularly to Mike Harding's Folk on 2 for the first time in several years. Spent much of last night listening to the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards last night. A couple of my favourites were nominated for awards. For example, veteran English fiddler Dave Swarbrick.

Several generations younger than "Swarb" is the Scottish Gaelic singer, Julie Fowlis - nominated for best musician (and whose website is now back on track).

From the Welsh perspective, it was interesting to note that not a single Welsh band or musician was nominated - though surely Fernhill can't be far off the mark judging by Mike Harding's praise for the group on a recent show.

However, perhaps the most significant moment of the evening for me was hearing a snippet from a singer whose voice was familiar from my first "folkie" phase back in 1990/91. Back then, in pre-google days, I had no way of checking out the names of musicians featured on the programme.

So, around 1991 I learned the song "Where the hell are we going to live" on the guitar, off a grainy tape of a Folk on 2 programme - but didn't have a clue who'd written it (other than that he sounded vaguely Geordie).

Until last night - when I heard the distinctive music again as Mike Harding announced that Vin Garbutt had been nominated for best live act. Further research shows that Garbutt is NOT a Geordie! He's from Middlesbrough. Apologies!

As my birthday approaches, TCA and others may be interested to learn that there's a special deal on Vin Garbutt's CDs (all 5 for £50) at his shop...