"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

30 January 2007

First cache on Gower!

Langland Bay Cache


The round-Wales trip started by driving from Cardiff to Swansea to drop K off. By now, the toothache had receeded enough, but was tired nonetheless.

After dropping K off in Cardiff, I decided to have a short stop at Mumbles before heading on to Aberystwyth. I parked by the Big Apple - an early childhood memory which I'm sure will be knocked down in the name of "progress" at some point, and I took a photo for posterity.

Photo 1: The Big Apple kiosk, Mumbles

I had initially planned to do the "Mumbles Hill Cache". However I mixed up two sets of co-ords in my GPSr and ended uip in Langland Bay and found a cache there instead. Dropped off the John harrison geocoin with it's specific mission to head west round the globe.

Looking round Langland, it is my consideration that it is in Gower only by way of its physical geography. Otherwise, it "feels" like an appendage of Swansea rather than Gower proper. I look forward to doing a cache or 2 in some of the more scenic parts of the peninsula.

Came back round to Mumbles and looked for the Mumbles Hill cache with proper co-ords this time. I found the general area but not the cache. There were some muggles about and it was time to go anyway. Before I left, I took a phot of Mumbles lighthouse, near the spot where my late Nanny famously met HRH the Prince of Wales. Word has it that HRH advised the assembled throng from the Gower Society to warm themselves with alchoholic beverages...

Photo 2: Mumbles Lighthouse, from Bracelet Bay Car Park