"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

12 August 2008

First to Find!!!!!!!!










"Who's that trip trapping across my bridge?" (Traditional cache)




"Buddha's retreat" travelbug




There is a big deal made in geocaching of being "First to find" a cache. I've never really been into this. Rarely can I make geocaching such a priority that I can speed off to a cache at the drop of a hat. "FTF" also favours those with instant alerts on their new-fangled GPS-phone-space shuttle launchers, so my Geko 101 has no chance.

But, this morning, I was off to Newport and so I had a quick browse to see which caches might be easily accessible from the eastern side of Newport.

I saw that this cache, in the Gwent levels, was new. My hunch was that the foul weather today would put off a lot of other potential FTFers. I was right!


Got to the general area OK after a bit of a circuit in the car. The Gwent levels always seem so eerie - maybe its the electricity pylons, or the proximity to the sea wall, or the grey drizzle...


A lot of animal species are mentioned in the cache description, but not cows! A herd of them in
the far side of the field were staring me out, and I nearly bottled it sltogether!


I found the cache easily (despite the nettles). On my return to the parking spot, the cows started charging, though not in my direction. But the adrenalin was pumping by the time I made it back to safety - whether it was the cows or the FTF I'm not sure...


Cache was found underneath a style to the rigt of the bushes under the pylon.