"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

17 August 2007

The retrap of Shape o' Ball















Anyone who has involved themselves in Maalie's ornithological work will be familiar with the concept of a "retrap".

A retrap occurs when Maalie catches a bird that he has already ringed.

A similar thing happened this week at the Cardiff Bay Travelbug Exchange, where I spotted Shape O' Ball travelbug - a childhood toy of a geocacher in America.

Back in September, I wrote a cursory note to log my discovery of Shape O' Ball at a geocache in Carmarthenshire. I took it up the west coast of Wales to Cors Cache, where I performed an upgrade of TCA's cache near Pyongyang.

Shape O'Ball originated in the west coast of the USA. After a long treck in north America, it made it across to the UK. After a brief residence in Scotland, it endured a long stint around north west England, before coming down to west Wales - where I picked it up.

In the last year, it has travelled from central Wales down to Dorset, then Bristol, then Cardiff - where I got my retrap!