"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

6 August 2007

Cathays Cemetary

"Mountainbug 2" (Travelbug)


Cathays Cemetary (multicache)


"Usolye Sibirskoye, Russia" (Unite for Diabetes Travelbug)



Extremely surprised that I have anything to blog about after the weekend I've had.

First up was the travelbug, picked up at Swansea West service station cache after midnight on Saturday night, whilst I was waiting for my latte to cool down.

Today, I did the Cathays cemetary multicache (i.e. a cache which requires completion of a set of numerical clues before obtaining the final co-ordinates). This is my 10th multicache.

The cache was placed by "Write and Mane", a formidable pair of geocachers who have placed dozens of caches arond south Wales. Most of their caches pay meticulous attention to detail, and are simply too time-consuming for me - I'm generally restricted to fairly easy caches on a "cashe and dash" basis by car.

On this cache, I had to go round the graveyard collecting dates and ages of notable gravestones. I've pictured the memorial stone which was placed as recently as 1998 to commemorate 21 French sailors from WW1. The year "1998" formed one of the clues.

I picked up a "Unite for Diabetes" travel bug - my first one for quite a while. The mission of these bugs is to visit the location prescribed for it on the bug listing.

OTHER NEWS

Glad to say that my own travelbugs and geocoins are enjoying some activity after a quiet spell. I've no doubt that the bad weather of late has had a major impact on geocaching this summer - all of a sudden I'm receiving lots of automated logs for my trackables.

After a mysterious period without a log, my "50th find geocoin" has recently taken up residence in a cache @ "Canoe Find it" (Llandysul - one of my regular haunts). I found this cache on a recent memorable trip.

My "75th find" coin has made it out of the Cambridge geocaching event and is in the safe hands of another cacher.

"London Calling" travelbug was coincidentally at the Cambridge gathering as well. It now appears to be heading inrto the "big smoke", as intended.

"Microskate" (destined for a tour of Europes smallest states) has also been picked up in Monmouthshire.

Regular updates for my trackables are on the sidebar.