"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

14 May 2007

W.C. Handy

I recently finished a paperback called "In search of Elvis" by one of my favourite travel authors, Charlie Connelly.

I enjoyed the book a lot. However, I was disconcerted to find out that W.C. Handy is the name of a person. For years, I had heard the phrase "W.C. handy" in the following lyrics of the song, "Walking in Memphis"...

"Put on my blue suede shoes
And I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
In the middle of the pouring rain
W.C. Handy -- won't you look down over me
Yeah I got a first class ticket
But I'm as blue as a boy can be..."

Only now do I realise that "W.C. Handy" does not mean the "there is a convenient toilet in Memphis airport". W.C. Handy was a famous blues musician. D'oh.