"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

27 April 2007

First "unknown" geocache! Sock-puppet geocoin!


Zr7's sock puppet geocoin


"Estuary 1" (traditional geocache)


"Estuary 2" (unknown geocache)


Work business took me up to north Wales for the third time this year. Again, I was able to combine the trip with some successful geocaching.

I came up to the north armed with five possible caches on the hit-list. These included a cache at Conwy Castle and two simple "multicaches" in Rhyl town centre.

A couple of months ago I would have gone all out for all 5 of them. However, in the more mellow, post-75 finds era, I settled for two straightforward caches on the estuary of the River Clwyd, about a mile west of the town centre.

I was attracted to the first cache - Estuary 1 - by the occurence of a "sock puppet geocoin, possibly the cutest coin there is (though I'm sure Syndey Koala geocoin would have something to say about that)! Took a few minutes rummaging as the cache was wrapped up in a tidy cammo bag.

Fig.1: Zr7's Sock-puppet geocoin, retrieved from Rhyl.

Took the cache to one side and signed the logbook. Took the sock puppet coin. I also bade farewell to the lovely geocoins I've been hanging onto of late, and left them all in the same cache, so that the cache now bears the "multiple geocoins" icon at geocaching.com.


Fig. 2: Multiple geocoins icon

The other thing which atrtracted me to "Estuary 1" was that the logbook contained the co-ordinates to a nearby "unknown cache" ("Estuary 2"). Also known as "puzzle" or "mystery" caches, unknown caches come with a question mark icon, as shown at the top of this page.

Notwithstanding some rough looking dog-walkers, I retrieved the cache from a fairly unpleasant location under a fence near the main railway line - and chalked up my first "unknown" cache! On another day, I would have easily ticked off the two "multicaches" in Rhyl but I was fundamentally too tired after a long, hard day so I jumped on the train and headed back home.