"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

31 March 2007

Geocaching, Travel, Trackables

Bobbin along travelbug


Peterwell (traditional cache)


Falcondale Lake (traditional cache)


Soar-ing high (traditional cache)


DIM NOFIO (traditional cache)


Just Passing (traditional (micro) cache)


Started from home early in the morning with a list of 7 possible caches.

Unfortunately, I started off by going to two caches where I had expected interesting geocoins to be. Unfortunately, neither of the geocoins were to be found. Very frustrated by the inabilty of geocachers to log their trackables out of caches promptly. I'm less likely to sweep for geocoins in the future.

Got off the mark with two caches during the day near to where I was working. Glad then to head out over the mountain road to Llyn Brianne - one of my favourite places in Wales.

Soar-ing high cache is located next to one of my favourite places of worship, Soar y Mynydd chapel.

Formally, Soar-y-Mynydd (left) is a Calvinist Methodist chapel - one of the most austere brands of nonconformist religion.

However the chapel is miles away from anywhere in the geographical centre of Wales, and has an open-door policy 24/7. So, and as the notice says on the door, I tend to regard the chapel as a neutral 'house of God' rather than any particula religious tradition.

Struggled to locate the "Dim Nofio" cache, on the banks of Llyn Brianne, and had to hurdle two fallen pine-trees to get to it, cutting my hand in the process.

Luckily, I found the "West end cafe" in Llandovery (left) where I could reflect on the day's activities. A friendly and charming "greasy spoon" which welcomes geocachers.

My final act of the day was to find the "Just Passing" geocache - a micro hidden behind barriers on a lay-by between Merthyr and Brecon.

I replaced the sodden micro logbook with a fresh, official Groundspeak micro log that had been kicking around the house for a while.