"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

22 February 2007

Spillers


Woke up around 12.30am and went downstairs to do the dishes. As is customary in these situations, I tuned in to Janice Long on Radio 2. Back in the 1980s I didn't have much time for Janice Long and her brand of independent music. However, as time has moved on, I find her style friendly and fun, and completely unaffected. In some ways, I prefer her even to the venerable Terry Wogan.

On tonight's show, Janice Long featured a live session by a group called The Secret Show. I'd never heard of them before but they are a very entertaining south Wales-based country influenced band. They seem friendly, too.

During her intervew with the group, Janice Long mentioned the fate of Cardiff's Spillers Records, reputedly the oldest independent music shop in the world. I've never been a regular at Spillers, though I did buy some bluegrass records in the early 2000s which helped me on my way to being a bluegrass fan. I couldn't have brought these records in any other shop in Cardiff.

I now pass Spillers regularly, also the building developments which have brought the Hayes area of Cardiff to a standstill. A combination of factors, including the new development, threatens Spillers' existence as a going concern.