"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

30 December 2006

Post-Christmas Aberystwyth caching #1

Rainbow series - blue


KDES Travelbug


Rainbow series - indigo



Gribbin's Light House Geocoin


After returning back to base camp at wayopint 99B, a quick turnaround and I was headed into town. Ostensibly to get a new wheel for the car and to drop off K and tortoiseshell-in-law to watch the Happy Feet movie. However, my sights had been set for several weeks on the Rainbow series of traditional geocaches around my old stomping ground of Aberystwyth. The prime target was the Lighthouse geocoin with it's lovely web icon.

After changing the wheel at Huw Lewis Tyres, I found the blue cache easily enough, although the co-ords seemed to be a fair way out. Picked up the Kettering scouts KDES TB.

Then the big challenge. Hauled myself up Pen Dinas (historic fort on south side of Aberystwyth). In true Tortoiseshell style, I made life difficult (a la discoveries in Merthyr mawr, Nant Yr Arian and Nottingham) and scrambled up the treacherous north-west face - complete with gorse and barbed wire.

At the top of Pen Dinas - but where to search? Spent 20 mins and time was running out. Eventually re-oriented the GPS at the monument and luckily glimpsed the cache well hidden in a gorse clump.

I followed one of my old school cross-country runs back down Pen Dinas and back to the car in Park Avenue.

The lighthouse geocoin was a perfect Christmas present for this geocacher and it is photographed on the way back down from Pen Dinas.