"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

28 October 2006

Kenfig Dunes / Merthyr Mawr


Leprechaun geocoin

Volunteer geocoin


Definitive Series geocoin



On a dark Friday night I drove over to Kenfig dunes to pick up the volunteer and Definitive series coins. The dunes were surprisingly easy to navigate in the dark, with the glow of Port Talbot steelworks to the west.
The Merthyr Mawr cache was more tricky. Took the best part of an hour for what should have been 20 min. car journey. Out of car, stumbled through woodland and over barbed wires, though the cache location itself was easy enough, even in the dark. Retrieved the Leprechaun.
This evening probably marks the end of my 'first flush' of caching. My brother, 'Senseless thing', had warned me that this was quite a futile activity and I'm starting to get that feeling after a couple of months' cacheing. One last blast down the M5 tomorrow then I'll probably restrict myself to casual caching only when I'm in the mood for it.
Already, I have confined myself to traditional, one stage caches and have no desire to go after multi-stage or cryptic caches.
However, I am taken by the travelbugs and geocoins of the sport. I am fascinated by the routes taken by bugs, and the virtual geocoins icons that one can collect on the 'trackables' part of the personal profile. I would predict that retrieving bugs and coins from caches I've already found will become a steady preoccupation in the future, even as the zeal for new caches dies away...